Section 11: Places to Paddle
- From Atlanta, I-75 south to Naples, FL. US 41 from Naples to the
Everglades City junction. Follow signs into town and on to the ranger station.
- Open waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and mangrove and cypress swamps,
the 'river of grass'. Warm weather and wildlife. Bugs and alligators. Fishing.
Best time to visit:
- Winter, the closer to the solstice, the better. Summer is
Gulf Coast Ranger Station,
Everglades City, FL 33929,
In the Great Lakes:
- Isle Royale National Park, Lake Superior (Houghton, MI)
- Apostle Islands National Lake Shore, Lake Superior (Bayfield, WI)
- Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore, Lake Superior (Munising, MI)
- Door County and the Grand Traverse Island group, Lake Michigan (N. of Green Bay,
WI or E. of Escanaba, MI)
- Porcupine Mountains State Park, Lake Superior (N. of Ironwood, MI)
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and the Manitou Islands, Lake Michigan
(Traverse City, MI)
- the Beaver Island Group, Lake Michigan (Charlevoix, MI)
- Wilderness State Park, Lake Michigan (Mackinac, MI)
- The St.Mary River between Lake Superior and Lake Michigan (Sault Ste. Marie, MI)
- Georgian Bay, Lake Huron
- Lake Superior North Shore, Pukasawa and the Black Bay Islands.
- The Bass Island group in Lake Erie.
Return to Table of Contents